Saturday, December 09, 2006

I can identify with Chapter 14. My mother was born in Japan and grew up in Canada, and my dad was born in Germany and worked in England, Switzerland, Canada, and is currently working in China. Because of my parents' pasts and heritage, I have had the opportunity to visit almost all of these places. I have had first-hand experience with different ways of life from many cultures of the world. Two summers ago, I went to Beijing for a month. EVERYTHING was different: how people greeted each other, how someone accepted a present, the way people drove, the fact that everybody hauked loogies in the middle of the street, the way they ate. It was a completely different set of rules. Being aware of all of these changes and tweeking my habits helped me feel more accepted there. I think it is important to not seem so "American" when we visit other places. I think it is important to take into consideration other peoples cultures and when appropriate to cater to their differences and adapt. So many Americans have this belief of ethical imperialism i think, and it annoys me. It embarrases me, too. When we were at DFW airport coming back from somewhere overseas one time, I remember being in the baggage claim and someone coming over the loudspeaker and absolutely BUTCHERING someone's last name. I thought to myself, "Only in America..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home