Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Chapter 3... I thought it was the least interesting chapter so far. Although, after going through this chapter, it was made more clear to me how necessary the public relations profession is in our world. And not only was its importance made more apparent, but more specifically how naturally it fits in to so many aspects of the business world. I realized that this profession will always be sought after, because we are needed in time of tragedy, upbringing, trend setting, expansion, downsizing, and in every other type of development. Is there a big business boom? Somebody's gonna have to coordinate the new activity and let the public know what is up and coming. Did somebody really screw something up in an organization? Well, you're gonna need somebody to go out there and explain to everybody what the hell is going on and how it's gonna be fixed. I like the idea of how part of our job is to be able to find a way to tell people, "Things are gonna be O.K." The part that makes me unesasy is what extents some PR professionals have gone to bend that statement.

The page that drew my attention the most was one of the last pages that just kind of put the ups and downs of the profession in a summary. In particular, the sentence, "If anything, we have become more aware of how much our world is interconnected-and often dysfunctional."
This got me because that's what everything pretty much boils down to. The world is messed up. We need people devote their lives to maintaining relationships between publics because people can't get along. People are always going to disagree. People are always going to have different perspectives on how to handle a new situation. And none of that is ever going to change. Then that made me start thinking about people who have gone under the gun, like for instance, this lady from the Red Cross, Healy. I mean, she didn't try to screw the Liberty Fund thing up. Like, I'm pretty sure that her main objective was not to get herself to be forced to resign and have thousands and thousands of people mad at her. Granted, you've gotta wonder what she was thinking to screw up as big as she did, something in her head obviously made her think that she was doing the best possible thing. And somebody had to have agreed with her. I don't know, just kind of blows my mind. Makes you think about what kind of pressures and stresses she was put under at that time to make her blind as to what her outcomes would be after the rash decisions she made. It makes me want to be 5 years old again so all I have to be stressed about is coloring in between the lines in my coloring book.
Another big word from the sentence I noted above was "interconnected." SO true. I think that this word is so true that it's scary. Like, I have learned to treat everybody with utmost respect. Everybody. Even someone who you think can do you absolutely no good, it doesn't matter. Because somebody is always watching you. And that guy that you think is a nobody knows a somebody, and somehow things come back to bite you if you take a wrong step. Because our world is so small. You have to be so aware of the moves you make in the field, like for instance, Ivy Lee, because no matter what scale of work you are engaged in, somebody knows somebody who knows somebody who knows what every move you have made.

I'm starting to get more and more into the book. I'm glad that I'm forced to write these blogs, because it's making me actually read the material, which is definitely more than I can say for my other classes :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home