Friday, September 01, 2006

Chapter One... pretty much an overview of the Public Relations world: what tasks are involved in the job description, the bad rep that the profession is trying to shake, the confusion and debate over its definition, and the potential that this relatively new field possesses. Within the chapter, there was a breakdown of the steps involved in the public relations process as well as the elements that compose the public relations field. An ongoing word brought up was "values": more specifically, the values-driven public relations. The chapter also overviewed the increasingly popular theme of assuming responsibility and accountability while practicing this up and coming profession.

I'm new to this major. I feel like I just fell asleep, woke up, and found myself here. I ran out of core classes and had to pick a direction, and one of my friends informally mentioned that I may have a knack for PR, so I just jumped in. I don't really know what I'm getting myself in to... and some of the things that Ch 1 said kind of erked me, but at the same time, I think that my personality fits the profile of many of PR's demands. I know that I want to deal with people, even though most everybody is a pain in the ass, and I want to be able to be in a position where I can make a difference somewhere. One thing that really draws me to PR is that it is a growing field. It seems like there is so much room for change and opportunity, and that excites me. When everybody in class was talking about their experiences that they have already had in the field, it kind of made me feel inadequate, but then I realized that everybody was in my shoes at one time, too. So I am O.K. with that. On one of the first pages where it asked, "What did you think public relations was?" I was one of those few that said, "I don't know." I literally highlighted "I don't know" in my book. But the chapter somewhat made me feel better about not knowing exactly what it was, because apparently nobody else knows either. I really enjoyed Judy Phair's memo that was at the end of the chapter. Her bullet points mentioned in her little blurb are really things that I think that I can commit to. I like the idea that in this field you have to stay open-minded and current. I feel like I have a worldly background; both my mom and dad are from out of the country, and my dad currently works in China, and I have had the opportunity to travel, so I fit the mold in that aspect. And I am full-heartedly willing to jump in this field with open arms and go where ever it takes me. So that makes me a little more at peace with my decision to go into PR. The chapter was well-written and I think did a good job of setting the tone for the rest of the book. There is a lot of information, but I am ready to test myself and curious to see how much I end up liking or hating it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home